David Swanson, PhD
David A. Swanson is Professor of Sociology at the University of California Riverside. He served two consecutive terms as a member of the U. S. Census Bureau’s Advisory Committee for Professional Associations from 2004 to 2010, and served as its facilitator in 2009-10. He also has served on multiple committees and boards including:
- Program Organizer for both the 2007 and 2010 Applied Demography Conference
- Publications Officer (2001-2) for the Government Statistics Section, American Statistical Association
- The Applied Demography Committee of the Population Association of America (1995-98 and 1999-2002), (Chair in 1998 and 2002)
- The Development Committee of the Population Association of America (2007-10)
- Secretary-Treasurer of the Southern Demographic Association (1995-7 and 2003-7)
- Editor of Population Research and Policy Review (2004-7).
He has authored or co-authored over 75 refereed journal articles, mainly dealing with demography and methods for small area estimation and forecasting. He has written:
- State and Local Population Projections: Methodology and Analysis (2001, with Stan Smith and Jeff Tayman)
- The Methods and Materials of Demography, 2nd Edition (2004, with Jay Siegel)
- Edited Applied Demography in the 21st Century (2008, with Steve Murdock).
Swanson has received more than $3,000,000 in grants and contracts and was the Principal Investigator of a research project funded by the National Science Foundation to assess the demographic and social impacts of Hurricane Katrina on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. He also is a co-investigator on the $2.3 million dollar grant “A Virtual Co-Laboratory for Policy Analysis in Greater Los Angeles,” funded by the University of California Multi-Campus Research Program (2010-15).
Swanson was twice selected as a Fulbright Scholar and has received awards for his work. In addition to many media interviews, he has testified before regulatory commissions, the US Congress and state legislative bodies. He also has served as an expert witness in court cases. Swanson received his Ph.D. in Sociology/Population Studies from the University of Hawai’i in 1985, a graduate diploma in social sciences from the University of Stockholm in 1974 and his B.Sc. in Sociology (with a minor in mathematics) from Western Washington State College in 1972.
David Swanson is one of the lead demographers with Cropper GIS Consulting. He leverages his extensive experience and expertise in demographic forecasting projects. A few of Dr. Swanson’s many strengths include demographic and migration forecasting.
- Ph.D. University of Hawai’i, 1985, Sociology/Population Studies
- M.A. University of Hawai’i, 1976, Sociology/Population Studies
- Graduate Studies Diploma, University of Stockholm, 1974, Social Sciences
- B.S. Western Washington State College, 1972, Sociology/Mathematics